Moving can be quite difficult and time consuming, but planning ahead and being smart about it can make the process run a lot smoother.
Start off by packing up your out-of-season items that you won’t be needing anytime soon. The sooner you can start packing these things up, the less you will have to worry about when you really get to crunch time and are stuck trying to get all your packing done at the last minute.
Once those are out the way, you can begin to pack objects that you don’t use very often. Leave items you use every day for last. Packing items by order of least immediate need to most immediate need ensures you won’t be pulling an all-nighter the day before your move, and it will prevent you from having to dig into already packed boxes for something you really need.
Save one box for the essential items you will need immediately for your first night in your new home. Make sure that box is the last thing added onto your moving truck so it can be easily accessed once you arrive.
The Importance of Labeling
It may sound like a chore, but it is very important to clearly label all of your boxes. Labeling your boxes on both the top and the side will help your movers know what room they should be placed in, and help you know what each box contains so you can easily find what you are looking for when the time comes to unpack.
Being smart with your packing means using certain items for purposes other than the one for which they were initially created. This includes utilizing clothes, towels or lightweight blankets as packing materials for fragile items such as dishes and picture frames.
Never use printed newspaper to wrap your fine china because the ink may leave marks on the dishware.
Some other helpful packing tips include:
- Tape your furniture drawers shut
- Don’t use boxes without tops because they are not stackable
- Don’t mix items from different rooms in the same box
- Use things like suitcases and laundry baskets to transport other items and save on boxes
Whether you are moving long distance, across town or having your belongings relocated to a household storage unit, IMS Relocation is the local moving specialist on whom you can rely in the Dallas, Texas area.
For more than 25 years, IMS Relocation has been serving the Dallas–Fort Worth metro area and expertly handling local, long distance moving and international moves. Some of the many advantages of choosing IMS Relocation include:
- FREE moving estimates delivered in writing
- Fully licensed and trained Mayflower transit agent
- All movers are employed full time and work exclusively for IMS Relocation
- Short and long-term storage available in our secure warehouse facility
- Professional moving counselors help coordinate every move to your specifications
- Trucking services at competitive rates
- Portable storage containers available
- Packing and a wide range of relocation services offered
Request your free moving estimate today and find out why you may actually save money, and definitely prevent stress, by working with the pros at IMS Relocation.