Most purchasing decisions in life can be boiled down to one question: is it worth it? That $10 frappuccino might normally seem expensive, but if it’s a hot day and you have an insatiable craving for a refreshing, coffee-based beverage… it’s well worth the cost.
Moving is the same way.
When you’re planning a residential move, you have to decide if you want to do it yourself or hire a professional. But even if you choose the latter, you still have to decide whether to pack or unpack your belongings yourself. Is it worth it? Let’s discuss the pros and cons of packing and unpacking yourself compared to the pros and cons of hiring professional packing help.
Pros and Cons of Packing and Unpacking Yourself
There’s really only one reason why someone wouldn’t hire help for packing and unpacking and that’s budget. (Or you might be lucky enough to have lots of family and friends who are generous with their time.) If you’re looking for the most cost-effective move possible, you might want to skip paying for a full-service move that includes packing help and only hire the mover for loading and transportation. But there are pros and cons to this decision.
- Pros of packing and unpacking your belongings yourself:
- You can pack and organize items the way you want.
- You save money, especially for larger homes.
- You’ll know where everything goes when you unpack.
- You can pack and unpack on your timetable.
- Cons of packing and unpacking your belongings yourself:
- You’re probably slower at packing than a professional.
- You’ll still have to pay for all of your packing supplies.
- Items may get damaged if they’re packed improperly.
- Your own labor and time put toward packing
Pros and Cons of Hiring Professional Packing Help
Now let’s take a look at hiring professional help for packing and unpacking your belongings. While there are certain situations where this option is especially worth it (such as if you have kids or can’t get time off work to pack or unpack), we’ll let you take a look at the pros and cons and decide for yourself.
- Pros of hiring professional packing help:
- You save physical effort and mental energy.
- You have more time for family and other elements of moving.
- Professionals often have their own gear, equipment and supplies.
- You have more peace of mind about packing items properly.
- Cons of hiring professional packing help:
- More expensive than packing and unpacking yourself.
- Packing must be scheduled at a specific time.
If you’re looking into hiring help for packing and unpacking, consider the team at IMS Relocation for a full-service move. Give us a call at (972) 484-2112 for a no-obligation quote today.