The only thing more stressful than a move? A move where you don’t have much advance notice. Whether by choice or not, short-term moves are a reality for many families. Let’s look at the pros and cons of these types of moves.
The Advantages of Short-Term Moves
Many professions require short-term moves, from the military to airlines, education and more. These moves put you where you’re needed most and allow you to experience somewhere new. But those aren’t the only advantages. Here are some pros of short-term moves:
- Life isn’t boring: From new restaurants and entertainment destinations to shopping and friends, you’ll get to experience something new… and very quickly. If you live for adventure, short-term moves are great.
- It’s a second chance: Have some bad habits or ex-acquaintances you’d rather leave behind? A short-term move can quickly give you a fresh start.
- You can downsize and declutter: Have too much stuff? Short-term moves can be a good excuse to get rid of excess belongings by downsizing or decluttering. This is especially beneficial if you have multiple short-term moves.
- Broadened experience: You’ll also get a chance to learn how things work in different parts of the country (or internationally). Experience personal growth by seeing new lifestyles and cultural practices.
The Drawbacks of Short-Term Moves
Of course, short-term moves have some drawbacks. These are mainly related to the move itself. Here are some of the cons of short-term moves:
- Social distance: You might have to say goodbye to friends and family, which is even worse when you don’t have much time left to spend with them.
- Increased stress: Packing and moving belongings is a stressful process if you do it yourself. This is why it’s important to hire the right short-term moving company.
- Financial strain: Moving costs money, so a short-term move can be especially draining on the finances if you do it often enough (and your employer doesn’t cover it).
Choosing the Right Company for Short-Term Moves
One other aspect of short-term moves that should be an advantage, not a drawback, is the hiring of the right moving company. The best short-term movers will create a seamless moving experience with minimal stress and help you focus on the more important things, like saying goodbye to friends and family and getting to know your new home.
If you’re facing a short-term move and want a company with the flexibility, efficiency and experience to help you seamlessly get it done, give IMS Relocation a call at (972) 484-2112.